Monday, February 5, 2024

This one’s gonna leave a mark

 This one’s gonna leave a mark


Well Some things you choose 

and some things just find you.  

There’s things you probably wouldn’t believe even if I told you. A series of notches made on a mind and heart - a litany of stories leaving their marks


I was only twelve when my mother died,

man, that cancer’s hell and 

it’s hard to set that one right

That cut’s deep and that scar is wide

A memory not quite faded but seasoned over time…


These marks ain’t much - 

but at least they’re mine

Stories etched deep 

in every scratch, cut, and line

Stories to most of an unremarkable life

Unfinished tales, told one page at a time.


This one’s the wedding, over here’s the kids…on the left there’s a scar from some things I can’t believe that I did. Some marks from mistakes, marks there from regret, some mark sweet memories, some mark things we’d rather forget.  Each grown deep into roots of who you see me to be 


I suppose yours are different - and I’d expect them to be.  What makes you you isn’t what makes me me. Look - I don’t know the shapes in which your memories may lie, but I know some marks are too deep to hide and can’t be concealed in those eyes


These marks ain’t much - 

And yours may not be just like mine

But still these Stories are etched deep 

in every scratch, cut, and line

Stories to most of an unremarkable life

Unfinished tales, told one page at a time.


The truth is the greatest marks - they aren’t owned by you or me.  They’re made on a savior who died on a tree.  Marks on his hands, marks on his feet - a story through the ages of the cost to be set free.  they tell us the story of how he loved  you and me…


And those marks they mean so much - more than just our own.  They’re marks in a story - that make us long for home.


Yeah these marks may not look like much but they’re all they need to be.  (X2)

No comments: