Saturday, November 28, 2020

Job

So I was thinking about the story of Job the other day after some discussion with the kids of the song “Broken Praise” from the Music Inspired by the Story.  That’s a good song, if you haven’t heard it...and curiously enough someone at work used the phrase “the patience of Job” - those two things got me thinking - and this is the result of those thoughts...


Job

I guess you could say it’s been a trying day
Who could have guessed by evening I’d be

Just a broken man sitting amongst broken pottery

Robbed of my children, robbed of my wealth

So much has been taken from this husk from this shell.


I never meant to be a picture of patience

And I never signed up for this suffering

I spend these passing moments

Wondering what the next will bring

What does a man do when he’s lost everything


I feel like a man that’s been pushed to the brink

Arms length from death, I’ve lost everything

Couldn’t imagine this morning that by nightfall

This was all I’d have left

Shall I accept good, but not trouble in life


I never thought I’d stand guilty before even my friends

My dignity shredded by the things they contend

What kind of friend would comfort like this

Who invited friends such as these

Who know not my heart and only add to my misery


I’ve never been quite this low before

Knowing in my heart I’m not ashamed

I can’t help but think I’ve reached a desperate place

Because I’m asking God if I couldn’t have

Just been erased.  Never breathed, never spoken,

Had only these eyes just never awoken.


I’m just a man that’s been pushed to the brink

But while I know that God doesn’t owe me anything

I only request an audience, just a chance to make my plea

Hoping and praying that God hasn’t forgotten me.  


then he speaks from the storm and I am undone

How could I have hoped to contend with this one

Who holds the stars in their place and binds the sea

Surely I’ve spoken of things well beyond me


He speaks from the storm and all else is still

the storehouses of earth lay silent

created and held by his will

Surely I’ve spoken of things I can’t understand

Not a word not a whisper escapes from his hand


I’m just a man that was pushed to the brink

God set me straight on a number of things

He’s spoken and answered and I couldn’t form words

I’m here overwhelmed by the things I’ve heard

My requests my arguments - they now seem so shallow

Where I once thought I was right, his name is hallowed


He’s answered and I can speak no more

Despite my faults, I’ve been restored

All to the glory of my God, my Lord

No comments: